Memoirs Of An Orthodontics Patient (Part Two)
Back, with that latest updates.
17th December
After a week or so, I returned to the dentist with the X-Rays.
The dentist then examined the X-Rays and determined that
my four premolars should be plucked out.
If teeth could talk, they were probably screaming
"NO!!!!!!!!!!!!" at the top of their voices.
Anyway, the more interesting stuff happened during the waiting.
Other than watching and laughing over a little bit of
"UP", we met another girl, with her family who was also getting,
yes, orthodontics.
Her name was Nicole and she was waiting there with her mum, maid
and super-cute little sister.
The cute litle sister was like
"Mummy I can spell "up", "u...p..."..."
Her mother humored her by saying,
"Yeah, very clever. You're K1 already you know."
But somehow the little-girl in a yellow dress
did not seem to sense the sarcasm.
Her cuteness was like a total ice-breaker and soon
we began sharing about Orthodontics.
(Okay, you can exclude me from "we" because when
it comes to people I'm meeting for the first time,
I usually don't talk. The not-so-awesome
side effects of watching too much "Crime-Watch".)
Turns out Nicole already had her four premolars
plucked out before that day.
And...they were taken out all in one visit...
and her mother wasn't in the room with her at all.
OMG! I would have freaked and fainted if that was me.
A round of applause for her!
18th December,the not-awesome Day One Of Extraction
Sitting outside with my mother and brother,
we watched "Superman Returns" while I wait freakingly to be called in.
When my name was called, I went in with them unwillingly.
First, some kind of cream was applied
near the area where the teeth would be extracted.
Second, the dentist told me to breathe in while they inject anesthetic.
One on the lower right jaw, one on the right upper jaw and the last on the roof.
I was allowed to gurgle my mouth and the anesthetic quickly sets in.
The premolar on my lower jaw was extracted first
it didn't really hurt except for the "force and pressure"
of my mouth being moved.
And "pop" the tooth fell out and my tongue managed
to stop me from swallowing it just in time.
The one on the upper jaw needed more time and more "force and pressure"
to pull out.
When everything was cleared, gauze was given to me to bite on to stem the blood.
Saliva started flowing in subconsciously and
it's hard to swallow it with all the numbness
although that would stem the blood flow faster.
New gauze brings new blood so I wasn't allowed to change it.
The nice lady at the counter issued a mouthrinse ,
some painkillers in case, not to mention some guidance on how to handle the wound.
(The same lady had been really encouraging when
I was freaking and waiting outside. So... THANK YOU!!!)
After that, my mother and brother walked me home
cause I was feeling a little dizzy.
When we got home, they made me rest on the sofa while
they took care of everything else.
After browsing through two television programmes (2 hours),
the bleeding stopped.
So my Mother made me take two painkillers in case, swallowing
them after drinking water through a straw.
The whole drinking through a straw thing may seem lame but it helps.
Following the end of the third TV programme, I hit the bed,
lying on my mini-bolster and pillow.
One's head must be alleivated after extraction.
19 December, the not-awesome Day Two Of Extraction
Things were a bit better this time, because
everything was the same (except the time),
including the movie screening in the waiting area.
It was smoother, faster and less bloodier.
Perhaps it was due to the fact that the same dentist knew
exactly how to handle my teeth.
Best of all, I was less dizzer and the bleeding stopped in an hour of so.
The not-fabulous part was having difficulty eating.
It feels very weird eating with four gaps in your teeth,
even weirder having a mouthrinse that smells like ethanol.
Still, I'm pulling through. The gaps will close up sooner or later...
No comments:
Post a Comment